List:       mico-devel
Subject:    Re: [mico-devel] [resend]small compile fixes for MICO 2.3.6 CVS
From:       520065607613-0001 () t-online ! de (Frank Pilhofer)
Date:       2001-09-27 8:46:37

Carl Thompson wrote:

>        I have a few minor compile fixes for CVS.  My platform is Red Hat
> Linux 7.1 using gcc 2.96 and STLPort 4.5.

   Hi,

 I'm surprised that this works at all, as gcc 2.96 is somewhat buggy, es-
pecially its C++ parts. See http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html

>        the "#include <algorithm>" include statement in orb/orb.cc should
> be moved to be above the "include <CORBA.h>" to avoid a conflict between
> the transform() template function in the STL and the transform() method
> in the MICO class FixedBase.

 Hm, I suspect that this is a compiler bug (since the gcc 3.0 final does
not suffer from it, and since the class method should not conflict with
the template in the global namespace).

>        In idl/codegen-c++.cc, STLPort does not understand ios::noreplace
> so it should be #defined away for it.

 Yes, this has been fixed.

>        BTW, I am using STLPort because I was shocked to realize that the
> standard C++ library on Linux distributions (and I guess *bsd and any
> other platform where the GNU standard C++ library is used) is GPLed.
> That means that the MICO library and all applications that use it must
> be GPLed when distributed on Linux which is unacceptable to me.

 This is not (entirely) true. Please see this discussion on the libstdc++
mailing list:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2001-06/threads.html#00325

 The second message in the thread states that

<- snip
Both use the GPL with the runtime exception:

    As a special exception, if you link this library with files
    compiled with a GNU compiler to produce an executable, this does not cause
    the resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General Public License.
    This exception does not however invalidate any other reasons why
    the executable file might be covered by the GNU General Public License.

See the comment block at the top of the installed header files, for example.
<- snip

 The thread goes on to discuss the murkier areas of having imported files
(from SGI) with alien licenses, but the above is their general consensus.

 So at least in that respect, you're free to use gcc and its libstdc++.

	Frank

--
Experience is something you never have until just after you need it.