List:       mico-devel
Subject:    Re: [mico-devel] Multi threaded
From:       Karel Gardas <kgardas () iol ! cz>
Date:       2001-09-20 13:29:23

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Warren Brown wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are using orbacus at them moment.  But since they were bought,
> there licensing now sucks badly. Therefore we are looking at mico and
> at TAO.
>
> TAO seems to be multi threaded, but Mico doesn't. seem to be multi threaded
> We would prefer to use mico due to it's small size 1.7M downloaded compared to TAO's 11M
>
> Could anyone tell me if mico supports multi threading or how good mico-mt is?

MICO supports multi-threading in experimental project know as
MICO/MT. Since this project is ``experimental'' it has more bugs than
standard MICO and can't work in certain situation.

I'm working on this project since Jun 2001 in my spare time and during
this time I've fixed a few small bugs and add some concurency models which
had not been supported in the past.

Now we (MICO/MT) have supported three concurrency
models: thread-per-connection, thread-per-request and thread-pool. You can
try it by checking CVS version from http://sourceforge.net/projects/micomt
out - please don't try released mico-2.3.5-mt it's obsolote and has more
bugs than CVS version. You can build (and test) MICO/MT with options
--enable-threads such that it will support MT and without it so it'll
behave in the similar way as ``normal'' MICO.

You can know from ORBacus that MT is configurable at run-time such that
the user can select on command line if he/she would like to run MT or ST
server/client. The CVS version of MICO/MT has not supported it yet but I
can say that this feature works on my working copy and I'm prepared to
commit it into CVS in near future.

The whole plan is to wait for MICO 2.3.6, merge changes into MICO/MT,
release MICO/MT 2.3.6 and test it as much as possible, then I'd like to
start merging with standard MICO so If all things go well standard MICO
2.3.7 (or maybe 2.4.0) will support MT.

Cheers,

Karel

PS: Please read CHANGES.mt for list of changes, note that README.mt is
obsolete.
--
 Karel Gardas                           e-mail: kgardas@iol.cz