List:       mico-announce
Subject:    [mico-devel] issues with mico Corba and pthreads in win32
From:       sergio brignone <sbrignone () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2005-04-06 19:36:53

Hi,

My name is Sergio Brignone. I am part of a team that develops calculation engines for large-scale
optimization (the optimization is related to electrical network systems).

Here is a little of background (that you can skip…)

The optimization program I am working is a multi-threaded FORTRAN program. The code has been
always multi-platform (off course, there are platform specific routines)

When it is integrated with another software, the engine is an independent process (wrapped in C)
that communicates using sockets and our internal protocol.

Time has come to enhance our product. Even though we have had no problems with the implementation,
writing a client that talk our protocol is a time-consuming (sometimes painful) development
process. So we decided to search for other alternative and MICO CORBA is actually the most
promising option.

I started testing MICO in different platforms but I run with a problem: the actual version of
pthreads for win32 seems to not longer be 100% compatible with MICO CORBA.
If deciding to go for MICO, this bug should be fixed.

I am not really asking for a fix, but just I am notifying you about the problem. Even though I am
not planning to merge our current code with MICO in a short term, I have no problems to debug and
fix MICO once the time comes to start coding (off course, unless you have not fixed the bug before
:-)

Sincerely,

Sergio Brignone, PhD

PS: Since more than one year ago, we switched all our multi-threaded libraries (and much more) to
the use of Apache APR. I guess that you may not want to depend on another product, but it may be a
good exercise to have a look at it.