List:       metasploit-framework
Subject:    Re: [framework] wdbrpc_memory_dump.rb bug and question
From:       Robin Wood <robin () digininja ! org>
Date:       2012-01-25 22:32:28

On 25 January 2012 20:53, Joshua J. Drake <jdrake@metasploit.com> wrote:
> Robin,
>
> Setting the "OFFSET" variable indictates that you wish to resume a
> partial dump. This feature is intended to be used along with an
> existing dump that did not complete.
>
> The initial portion of the dump should remain undisturbed while the
> new parts will be written starting at the supplied offset. Currently,
> starting at a specific offset and writing to a new file is not
> supported. This is due to some strangeness with ruby's handling of
> various file options...
>
> For now, if you absolutely must preserve the old partial dump, copy
> vxworks_memory2.dump to vxworks_memory3.dump and then retry.
>
> If you haven't created a ticket yet, it may not be necessary. I
> modified the module to fall-back to writing a new file in case it
> fails to open..

The only reason I moved the original file away was in case it
overwrote the existing file when I restarted the download, I didn't
want to lose the 30% already downloaded. Now I know the intended
functionality it makes perfect sense and the fix you've put in should
be fine. I've finished the job I was on where I could test this so
I'll trust you that it works find and hopefully have chance to test it
some time in the future.

Robin