List:       mesos-user
Subject:    Re: Help us review #MesosCon 2015 proposals
From:       Dave Lester <dave () davelester ! org>
Date:       2015-02-21 22:09:18

Hi Tim,

There's no magic number, but that's being discussed by the speaker
subcommittee now and it's something the larger MesosCon program
committee will need to decide in the coming weeks. The # of accepted
talks will largely depend on the number of tracks we break into, and
number of / length of keynotes. Stay tuned!

Dave

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015, at 01:59 PM, Timothy Chen wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> How many submissions are we looking to accept this year?
>
> Tim
>
> On Feb 21, 2015, at 1:43 PM, Dave Lester <dave@davelester.org> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Steve and Pablo for the feedback.
>>
>> Regarding the system of rating proposals: this is similar to what we
>> used last year, however last year we also had "strongly accept" and
>> "strongly reject" options which in my personal opinion were helpful
>> for determining the best-of-the-best. As a speaker subcommittee, we
>> decided to simplify the review process this time around by offering
>> only three options. We may reconsider this for next year.
>>
>> Regarding the selection process: the MesosCon program committee will
>> ultimately determine the event programs -- a list of those who are
>> members is available here:
>> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/mesoscon/program/programcommittee.
>> Program committee members will be completing the same review process
>> as everyone else in the community, and we plan to use the feedback we
>> receive as signals for what to select for the program, and inform
>> tracks for the event.
>>
>> So far we have over 40 reviews for each of the themes we've shared,
>> and while the system for feedback may not be perfect there are
>> already some clear signals in the data about what folks want to hear
>> and what they'd like to pass on. We'll do our best to be transparent
>> about the process moving forward, and have a strong feedback loop
>> with the community to ensure that your voice and opinions are given
>> weight in the decisions of the program committee.
>>
>> If you have additional questions, feel free to ask on-list. I think
>> having these discussions in the open is helpful, and also keeps us
>> (the program committee) accountable to the community.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 21, 2015, at 04:41 AM, Steve Domin wrote:
>>> All of them look great indeed. Didn't reject any as well.
>>>
>>> I find the wording a bit annoying as I didn't really find any talk
>>> "average", I just selected "accept" for the one I really want to
>>> hear about more than anything else.

A total of 63 proposals were submitted for #MesosCon[1], up

significantly from 24 submitted for last year's conference. Similar to

last year, the MesosCon program committee is opening these proposals up

for community review/feedback to better-inform our decisions about what

should be included in the program.

In order to make it easier to review a subset of the proposals, we've

segmented them based upon three loose themes: Frameworks, Users / Ops,

and Mesos Internals and Extensions. We encourage you to review proposals

based upon one theme, or all three!

*Frameworks (18 Proposals):* bit.ly/MesosCon2015Frameworks Talks on how

frameworks can be used, developed, and integrate with Mesos.

*Users / Ops (28 Proposals):* bit.ly/MesosCon2015UsersOps A combination

of talks that are use cases (how company x uses Mesos), and

operations-focused (how we deploy x, use Docker, etc).

*Mesos Internals and Extensions (17 Proposals):*

integrations with the internals of Mesos. Some proposals have overlap

with frameworks and ops, but most are focused on the foundational

aspects of how Mesos works.

The forms above also include an opportunity to indicate which sessions

you didn't see proposed but would like to attend.

Thanks in advance for your participation! The forms will close on March

4th 2015, two weeks from today.

Dave

Links:

1. http://mesoscon.org