List:       mesos-user
Subject:    Re: ZooKeeper C++ Client
From:       Yan Xu <yan () jxu ! me>
Date:       2014-06-17 18:24:24

Hi Scott,

Yes Apache Mesos uses ZooKeeper for leader election and membership
detection. You can take a look at
https://github.com/apache/mesos/tree/master/src/zookeeper to see if it
suits your needs and send your questions to user@mesos.apache.org

Even though we don't currently distribute our zookeeper wrapper as a
standalone library, it should be fairly easy to separate it out. It depends
on https://github.com/apache/mesos/tree/master/3rdparty/libprocess which
you can link statically.
https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/Makefile.am shows a few
examples of integrating libprocess.

- Yan

---
Jiang Yan Xu <yan@jxu.me> | @xujyan <https://twitter.com/xujyan>

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Jordan Zimmerman <
jordan@jordanzimmerman.com> wrote:

> I know Mesos uses ZooKeeper and it was written in C++. But, I haven't
> looked closely at how they use it.
>
> -JZ
>

> From: C Scott Andreas scott@paradoxica.net
> Reply: user@zookeeper.apache.org user@zookeeper.apache.org
> Date: June 17, 2014 at 12:30:18 PM
> To: user@zookeeper.apache.org user@zookeeper.apache.org
> Subject:  ZooKeeper C++ Client
>
> Hello,
>
> Is there a modern, tested, and recommended C++ client for interacting with
> ZooKeeper? I've seen a few references around the web to spikes toward an
> implementation and a couple examples on GitHub, but am not aware of many in
> active use. I'd be interested to hear if anyone's aware of current work in
> this area.
>
> The zkfuse package in contrib wraps the C client but appears purpose-built
> and does not ship with a test suite. Canonical examples of use of the C
> bindings also seem rare; it looks like the docs are marked TBD
> <
> http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.6/zookeeperProgrammers.html#ch_programStructureWithExample
> >
> –
> though Flavio's written a very helpful example
> <https://github.com/fpj/zookeeper-book-example/tree/master/src/main/c>
> distributed
> with the O'Reilly book for 3.5.x. If there is not a preferred C++ example,
> is there a particularly high-quality wrapping of the C lib that's
> recommended as a starting point for implementing one?
>
> Thanks,
>
> – Scott

[Attachment #3 (text/html)]

membership detection. You can take a look at  <a \
href="https://github.com/apache/mesos/tree/master/src/zookeeper" \
target="_blank">https://github.com/apache/mesos/tree/master/src/zookeeper</a> to see \
if it suits your needs and send your questions to <a \
href="mailto:user@mesos.apache.org" target="_blank">user@mesos.apache.org</a><div>

standalone library, it should be fairly easy to separate it out. It depends on  <a \
href="https://github.com/apache/mesos/tree/master/3rdparty/libprocess" \
target="_blank">https://github.com/apache/mesos/tree/master/3rdparty/libprocess</a> \
which you can link statically.  <a \
href="https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/Makefile.am" \
target="_blank">https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/Makefile.am</a> shows \
href="mailto:yan@jxu.me" target="_blank">yan@jxu.me</a>&gt; |  <a \
AM, Jordan Zimmerman <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:jordan@jordanzimmerman.com" \

0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-style:solid;padding-left:1ex">I \
know Mesos uses ZooKeeper and it was written in C++. But, I haven't looked closely at \
how they use it.<br>

-JZ<br>
From:  C Scott Andreas <a href="mailto:scott@paradoxica.net" \
                target="_blank">scott@paradoxica.net</a><br>
Reply:  <a href="mailto:user@zookeeper.apache.org" \
target="_blank">user@zookeeper.apache.org</a> <a \
href="mailto:user@zookeeper.apache.org" \
                target="_blank">user@zookeeper.apache.org</a><br>
Date:  June 17, 2014 at 12:30:18 PM<br>
To:  <a href="mailto:user@zookeeper.apache.org" \
target="_blank">user@zookeeper.apache.org</a> <a \
href="mailto:user@zookeeper.apache.org" \
                target="_blank">user@zookeeper.apache.org</a><br>
Subject:   ZooKeeper C++ Client<br>
Hello,<br>
Is there a modern, tested, and recommended C++ client for interacting with<br>
ZooKeeper? I&#39;ve seen a few references around the web to spikes toward an<br>
implementation and a couple examples on GitHub, but am not aware of many in<br>
active use. I&#39;d be interested to hear if anyone&#39;s aware of current work \
in<br> this area.<br>
The zkfuse package in contrib wraps the C client but appears purpose-built<br>
and does not ship with a test suite. Canonical examples of use of the C<br>
bindings also seem rare; it looks like the docs are marked TBD<br>
&lt;<a href="http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.6/zookeeperProgrammers.html#ch_programStructureWithExample" \
target="_blank">http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.6/zookeeperProgrammers.html#ch_programStructureWithExample</a>&gt;<br>

–<br>
though Flavio&#39;s written a very helpful example<br>
&lt;<a href="https://github.com/fpj/zookeeper-book-example/tree/master/src/main/c" \
target="_blank">https://github.com/fpj/zookeeper-book-example/tree/master/src/main/c</a>&gt;<br>
 distributed<br>
with the O&#39;Reilly book for 3.5.x. If there is not a preferred C++ example,<br>
is there a particularly high-quality wrapping of the C lib that&#39;s<br>
recommended as a starting point for implementing one?<br>
Thanks,<br>
– Scott<br>