List:       mesa3d-users
Subject:    Re: [Mesa3d-users] Mesa, OpenGL ES & OpenVG
From:       Brian Paul <brian.paul () tungstengraphics ! com>
Date:       2007-09-26 14:57:50

Tom Cooksey wrote:
> Are there any plans to add either OpenGL ES or OpenVG APIs to mesa?
> Are there any problems in doing this?
>
> There is now an open source implementation of OpenVG
> (http://www.khronos.org/developers/resources/openvg) which (I believe)
> uses OpenGL to do the rendering. It also incorporates a partial
> implementation of EGL (which uses GLUT). While this is mostly a
> software implementation, there are embedded GPUs available already
> which accelerate OpenVG ops. The PowerVR MBX has an OpenVG library
> (although I think it is also almost entirely a software
> implementation) however I get the impression the SBX is able to
> accelerate OpenVG more (Don't know the specifics and am probably
> completely wrong). It would be pretty cool to incorporate this
> implementation into Mesa (I'm currently trying to port it to Linux and
> found I'm also having to fix it to work on 64-bit machines... What
> makes people cast pointers to ints?!?!?? gerr....).
>
> I'm only starting to get my head round Mesa and where it fits in, but
> couldn't the DRI be used to send OpenVG commands to a kernel module?
>
> I'm also interested in OpenGL ES, however the only (Linux) open source
> implementation is for OpenGL ES 1.0. But given the API is just a
> subset of OpenGL, couldn't a thin shim (read ugly hack) be put over
> OpenGL to convert the fixed point params into floats? (I think that's
> what Khronos' reference implementation does). Same question again,
> couldn't mesa/DRI be used to send commands to OpenGL ES hardware?

We're heading in these directions.  The new "Gallium3D" driver
architecture will allow re-using hardware drivers with a variety of APIs
such as OpenGL 2.x, OpenGL 3.x and OpenGL ES.  A direct hardware driver
for OpenVG is feasible as well.

See http://www.tungstengraphics.com/wiki/index.php/Gallium3D

> To be really useful, I guess the OpenGL OpenGL ES and OpenVG APIs
> would all be tied together with EGL so I could use all 3 in an
> application? That would be cooool. :-)

OpenGL + OpenGL ES in one app?  That's a new one. :)

-Brian