List:       mesa3d-users
Subject:    Re: [Mesa3d-users] Cross compiling Mesa3D
Date:       2007-08-07 10:59:34

Hey Mads,

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 08:48 +0200, From MOGI.dk wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sorry but this is a newbie question (you probably get a lot of those).
>
> I wish to cross compile the Mesa3D OpenGL library for use on an ARM based
> CPU (i.MX31 and later i.MX21).
>
> I have tried creating an almost empty linux-arm (ripoff of the linux-ppc
> config file) configuration file (and added it to the main Makefile) but
> compilation seems to give up in the src/mesa/x86 folder when compiling
> gen_matypes and executing ./gen_matypes
> Error:   /bin/sh: ./gen_matypes: cannot execute binary file
>
> Well I guess this is obvious since it has been cross compiled. I am probably
> missing something somewhere. Has anyone tried cross compiling Mesa3D and is
> there some sort of recipe on how to do it ?

Cross compiling anything is always a big pain, and most ppl think they
will just go and do it by replacing their compiler.

There are two "recipes" that are used a lot.
The first one is to use something like qemu to be able to actually
execute the ARM binaries on you (i assume) x86 host.
The second is the first compile everything for your x86 host first, and
than make sure the compile of the ARM version does not use
the ./gen_matypes but something like $(HOST_BUILD_DIR)/gen_matypes.

Before reinventing the wheel, you might want to take a look at things
like PTXdist or scratchbox.

- Erwin