List:       mesa3d-users
Subject:    Re: [Mesa3d-users] Errors in Makefile & associated configuration
From:       Brian Paul <brian.paul () tungstengraphics ! com>
Date:       2006-09-06 13:55:55

Christopher Bell wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I downloaded Mesa 6.5 from Sourceforge yesterday, and have had a fair
> old fight to make it compile on my HP-UX 11.11 PA-RISC Unix system due
> to problems with the "make" and associated configuration files.
>
> I tried with the standard "make" supplied by HP, and also downloaded and
> tried GNU make (gmake), but neither would run the files as supplied.
> (Incidentally a "make" on Linux worked fine with the files as supplied,
> so the problem is probably the fussiness of the HP versions.)
>

> The errors found (so far) were:
>
> (1) Line 68 in ./configs/default.
>
> Originally said "EXTRA_LIB_PATH ?="
> Changed to "EXTRA_LIB_PATH ="
>
> HP and GNU "make" seemed not to like the "?".

I _think_ we can get away with just removing that line altogether.
I'll comment it out and see if anyone complains.

> (2) Line 191 in ./src/mesa/sources.
>
> This otherwise blank line started with a <tab>.  This seemed not to
> bother "make" on my Linux system, but the HP versions really did *not*
> like it! Removing it solved the problem.

Fixed.

> (3) HP-UX configuration files.
>
> There are several options provided (32/64 bit, static/dynamic
> libraries). Some have clearly been used more than others, but the
> following changes need to be made to the CC flags if MESA is to compile:
>
> Flag "-Aa" needs to be changed to "-Ae" to include HP extensions to the
> ANSI C standard.  Otherwise file glxext.h will generate compilation
> errors because of the non-standard "int_32t" and "int_64t" data types
> used.  The alternative is to add some "#ifdef __hpux" lines to that
> file, but why do things the hard way?
>
> I would recommend that flags "+O3" and "+Oaggressive" not be used as
> they caused crashes on my system.  I would recommend a plain "-O"
> instead: in my experience any loss in performance (small) is more than
> offset by the gain in reliability (huge)!

Fixed.

> (4) The good news:
>
> Once I got it built it worked fine.  Image quality using software X11
> MESA rendering was almost indistinguishable from that produced by the
> ATI FireGL card in hardware mode and - so far as I can see - everything
> works.  Truly a "plug and play" solution - thanks!
>
> And despite my problems with "make" thank you for not using "configure",
> as this can be a nightmare on.

I know exactly what you mean.  In my experience autoconf just doesn't
work reliably on non-GNU-based systems.

> Tests show that MESA seems ideal for the off-screen batch rendering we
> want to do, so if we go ahead with this I shall be building on more
> Unices (HP Itanium, Solaris, Irix, Aix, Tru64) and several different
> Linux platforms.

OK.  There's a few other people who use Mesa on Solaris, Aix, etc that
have contributed maintenance patches so those should mostly work.

> I hope that this the right place to report problems - if not please slap
> my wrist and tell me where to send them (or perhaps just to shut up & go
> away!)

You might report these kinds of things as bug reports on
freedesktop.org so they don't get lost when I'm busy.

-Brian