List:       mesa3d-dev
Subject:    [Mesa3d-dev] ****SPAM(5.1)**** Re: Memory management - another proposal.
From:       Michel =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=E4nzer?= <michel () daenzer ! net>
Date:       2006-01-10 16:09:25

Spam detection software, running on the system "darkcity.gna.ch", has
postmaster for details.

Content preview:  On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 18:15 +0000, Keith Whitwell wrote:
  > > Back Buffers > > > Note in particular that the backbuffer is just
  another buffer object > and must be validated like textures, etc. The
  intention is that when > back or depth buffers aren't needed, memory
  pressure will eventually > force them out of the GART table, freeing up
  space for more textures > or pixmap cache. [...]

 pts rule name              description
 2.0 RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL      RBL: SORBS: sent directly from dynamic IP address
                            [84.74.135.195 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]
 3.1 RCVD_IN_XBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL
                            [84.74.135.195 listed in sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org]
 1.7 RCVD_IN_NJABL_DUL      RBL: NJABL: dialup sender did non-local SMTP
                            [84.74.135.195 listed in combined.njabl.org]
-1.7 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 18:15 +0000, Keith Whitwell wrote:

> Back Buffers
> ------------
>
> Note in particular that the backbuffer is just another buffer object
> and must be validated like textures, etc.  The intention is that when
> back or depth buffers aren't needed, memory pressure will eventually
> force them out of the GART table, freeing up space for more textures
> or pixmap cache.

With the Composite extension in mind, per-context renderbuffers should
be supported if not the default.

> Pixmap Cache
>
> Also pixmap cache should be just another memory buffer, that the X
> server will have to validate before accessing, assuming XAA can be
> convinced to play along with this.

I doubt it can, but EXA should.

FWIW, I like the direction of your proposals, although I share Roland's
doubts about treating AGP separately from video RAM, even in the
beginning.