List:       mesa3d-dev
Subject:    Re: [Mesa3d-dev] Re: [Mesa3d-cvs] CVS Update: Mesa (branch: trunk)
From:       Eric Anholt <eta () lclark ! edu>
Date:       2005-05-31 22:23:38

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 12:55 +0200, Roland Scheidegger wrote:
> Keith Whitwell wrote:
> > For q3, yes that would be an issue and would explain the above.  I can't
> > remember why you would lose HAVE_ELTS going to t_vertex.c though - I'll
> > have a quick look and see if it can be restored.
> >
> > If the sse functions (like sse_movups etc) are showing up in the
> > significant percentages, that's a little odd as they are the generators
> > only and you'd expect q3 to only generate a few vertex functions...
> Indeed IMHO it is very odd anything vertex related makes a measurable
> difference in quake3, this 3-polys-per-object game is usually 100%
> fillrate bound, so a 4.5% difference is quite a lot. Last time I
> measured (some month ago), IIRC I didn't get that much difference with
> this patch.

Were you running at tcl_mode=0?

I was running at a pretty low res on a card with decent fillrate, on a
p4 at a low clockrate.  I could see vertex code differences being more
important than on most peoples' systems.

--
Eric Anholt                                     eta@lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt@FreeBSD.org