List:       mesa3d-dev
Subject:    Re: [Mesa3d-dev] Mammoth patch to Python code generator scripts
From:       Ian Romanick <idr () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2005-05-27 18:46:23

Brian Paul wrote:

> I guess I'm OK with all the changes as long as we're generating the
> right code at the end of the day.

Not to inspire too much confidence, but the newly generated code is no
worse than the existing generated code. :)  In all seriousness, one area
where the previous version and this version of the GLX protocol code is
lacking is interoperability testing.  There are a lot of these functions
for which this is the only implementation that I know of.  That makes
testing tricky. :(

> Regarding the aliasing change-  Are you aware that glTexImage3D() and
> glTexImage3DEXT() are presently aliased but have slightly different
> parameter lists?  The internalFormat parameter is GLint for the former
> and GLenum for the later.  It's unfortunate, but that's the case.
>
> Do your changes accomodate this kind of thing?

It turns out that these functions are the *only* reason that type
checking isn't enabled yet.  The original code, that failed, textually
compared the parameter types.  There is code in typeexpr.py to determine
if two types are compatible.  This code would see GLuint == GLsizei ==
GLenum, GLfloat == GLclamp, GLintptr == GLintptrARB, etc.  The intention
is to use that functionality to do the type checking.