List:       mesa3d-dev
Subject:    Re: [Mesa3d-dev] get.c fix and a floating point question
From:       "Daniel Borca" <dborca () 3dfxzone ! it>
Date:       2004-12-30 7:56:26

Hi,

>  > On a side-note: I am having problems with gcc 3.3.x / gcc 3.4.x.
>  > It generates bad clipping in t_vb_render.c <- t_vb_cliptmp.h and
>
>  Any -march flags?  I hunted down a similar (same[0]?) problem when
>  compiling mesa with -mfpmath=sse.  At the end this worked well:
>
>  -O3 -march=i686 -msse -mfpmath=387 -DUSE_X86_ASM -DUSE_MMX_ASM
>  -DUSE_3DNOW_ASM -DUSE_SSE_ASM
>
>  Marcelo
>
>  [0] z-clipping was way off, either too far behind z_front or too far in
>      front of z_back.  The other planes had similar problems.

In early versions of gcc 3.x I tried -mcpu=athlon, but the result was
completely broken.  Since then, I stick to -mcpu=pentium.  I'm not a big
fan of -march, though - it breaks compatibility.

I did try without -mcpu at all (this means pentium-pro, according to
`gcc -E -dM test.h`) without any success; yes, same clipping bugs.

So basically, I have to either sanitize t_vb_cliptmp to use fi_type
instead of fi_type*, or use gcc 2.95.y.  I know that a particular flavor
of 2.95 has a very rare and odd bug, but I can't remember which one was.

Regards,
Daniel Borca