List:       mesa3d-dev
Subject:    Re: [Mesa3d-dev] r200 6 tmu patch updated again
From:       Roland Scheidegger <rscheidegger_lists () hispeed ! ch>
Date:       2004-05-28 1:12:29

Roland Scheidegger wrote:
>> If it's that rotten, it can go.  Maybe leave a note saying that it was
>> suspected to be the better perf path.
>>
>> One reason it got replaced was that the vertex started getting a lot
>> more elements in it and the old dd_vbtmp.h file couldn't cope.  The
>> new t_vertex.c path fixes that, but it itself needs a bit of work on
>> performance...
>>
>> Let's just cut the crap & ditch the dead code.
>
> I just de-rotted it (using radeon code as reference). However, it is
> impossible to get this to work. The code uses tons of
> R200_CP_VC_FRMT_XY, R200_CP_VC_FRMT_W0 and similar stuff, but these are
> nowhere defined? The same macros for radeon are defined (in
> radeon_reg.h) but I couldn't find them for the r200. So, did this ever
> work and the macro definitions were removed some time ago (presumably in
> r200_reg.h? Couldn't find anything useful in the cvs log), or was this
> dead code right from the beginning?
> I have also updated radeon_maos_arrays.c (using cvs differences from
> r200_maos_arrays.c), it compiles now though I've no idea if it works...
> I think I'll check it in, chances are noone will ever use it anyway :-).
Ok, some browsing in the old repo returned all answers. It's actually
funny this code survived soooo long. It isn't even dead, it's actually
not quite born yet;-). Apparently it's just the radeon version, all
radeon references renamed to r200 (12 june 2002) and then disabled (19
june 2002, i.e. before the driver was working). It cannot work, even if
the R200_CP_VC_FRMT_XY stuff would exist (or changed to something like
R200_VTX_W0), at least not without some changes, since this would mix
state from 2 registers together (the radeon has vertex coordinates and
vertex texture coordinates in the same register, the r200 does not).
Over time, the code got some updates, but apparently nobody ever tried
to compile it :-). I'll just get rid of it, if someone wants to write
that driver path, he should just start with the radeon version.

Roland