List:       mercurial
Subject:    Re: Can anything be done about the large files problem?
From:       Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab () web ! de>
Date:       2017-11-12 20:32:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Mario Castelán Castro <marioxcc.MT@yandex.com> writes:

> On 11/11/17 14:00, Andi McClure wrote:
>> Mercurial has the largefiles extension, but since
>> Bitbucket does not support it, largefiles may as well not exist. […]
>
> That is one of the reasons of why you SHOULD NOT make yourself dependant
> on a single provider (Bitbucket or Github).
>
> As you noted, Mercurial supports what you want to do. Thus your problem
> is not a technical one, but a social one (your preferred host does not
> support X feature and you want this feature).

This in turn points towards another social weakness: We do not advertise
strongly enough which alternatives exist.

See https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/MercurialHosting

However I do not know which of these support largefiles — and maybe we
should add that (i.e. in a feature-matrix as is often done on
Wikipedia).

That would also provide an incentive for hosters to provide support for
new features.

Best wishes,
Arne
--