List:       mercurial
Subject:    Re: Why bare 'hg update' needs behaviour change
From:       James Reynolds <eire1130 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-12-21 14:21:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I brought this topic up a few months than ago.

I also wrote a patch, unsubmitted, that did what I proposed. (Also, why
can't mercurial use pull requests, rather then email patches? Do any
organizations really work by emailing patches around? Maybe if mercurial
did, users would realize the problems with bookmarks in practice)

1. Added a setting that changed the behavior of hg up to be predictable.
2. The setting is opt-in.  No setting =old behavuor.

I liked this because it opened the door to a reasonable depreciation policy.

However, two things happened.

1. The "change" camp felt this was too much work in large teams (to add
just one line item to an hgrc).

1.b the "remain" camp are purists and like the behavior as is and prefer we
should all be purists.

2. The small minority remaining then went down the rabbit hole of "let's
name this setting variable!"

That's about when I gave up.

Anyway, I'm happy to submit the patch if there is interest.

James