List:       mercurial
Subject:    Re: Can I connect the dots when I didn't do an hg move?
From:       Simon King <simon () simonking ! org ! uk>
Date:       2015-03-26 11:21:56

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 1:10 AM, Dave S <snidely.too@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Dave S <snidely.too@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 3:47 AM, Simon King <simon@simonking.org.uk>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Personally, I've used virtualenv to create an isolated
>>>
>>> python environment at /usr/local/mercurial, then use
>>> "/usr/local/mercurial/bin/pip install mercurial" to get the latest
>>> mercurial in there.
>>>

>> Okay, I'm trying out 3.3.2 with virtualenv.   Googled my way to setting
>> that up,
>> and for the readers-in-posterity, that was  via
>> <URL:http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/dev/virtualenvs/#virtualenv>
>> and
>> <URL:https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/installing.html>
>>
>> (Readers-in-posterity will likely have their pip by default, with it
>> bundled in Python 2.7.9)
>

> Hmmm, somehow I seem to have updated the mercurial outside of the
> virtualenv.  I think that's okay by me, except it says I didn't do the
> virtualenv setup correctly.  There was a minor thing about hgrc files
> precedence that hadn't showed up before, but easily dealt with.
>
> /dps

Given http://selenic.com/pipermail/mercurial/2015-March/048226.html
this discussion is probably no longer appropriate for this list,
but...

Using the "pip" installed inside the virtualenv *should* put mercurial
inside the virtualenv. If you used your systemwide pip instead, that
might be the cause of the problem.

Simon