List:       mercurial
Subject:    RE: notify woes
From:       John Turner <jturner () energi ! com>
Date:       2014-11-26 16:41:40

John J. Turner
Database Development Manager
Energi, Inc
Energi Insurance Services, Inc.
10 Centennial Drive, Suite 201
Peabody, MA 01960
Work: 978-531-1822, ext. 897

jturner@energi.com
www.energi.com
24 Hour Claims Reporting 1-888-CLAIM50

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information intended only for \
the person(s) named. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any other person \
is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please notify the \
sender by reply e-mail and then destroy the message. Opinions, conclusions, and other \
information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Energi, \
Inc., Energi Insurance Services, Inc. shall be understood to be neither given nor \
endorsed by the Company. Any information contained in this e-mail is subject to the \
terms and conditions in the governing client contract. Please note that insurance \
coverage cannot be bound, terminated, increased, decreased or otherwise modified by \
messages sent through electronic mail.
> > On Nov 25, 2014, at 5:55 PM, John Turner <jturner@energi.com> wrote:
> >
> > (apologies if this formats poorly - it's Outlook)
> >
> > Many thanks Matt for the quick response - I'll try and track things down
> on the Exchange side and keep trying config options (username/password)
> as you suggest for [smtp] parameters in mercurial.ini
>
> Not sure if you've tried this yet, but if you want to test if the mercurial side
> is working, configure it to use the destination mail server for your domain.
> That server will accept your mail since it's the final destination and is not
> being asked to relay...
>
> One other thing, I've not used the notify extension, but sometimes add ons
> like notify will not send perfectly standardized e-mails to destination
> servers. I once knocked my entire company's e-mail offline for 2 weeks
> because the notify piece of Mantis bug tracker wasn't sending a "HELO"
> command and our wonderfully helpful e-mail relay service auto-blacklisted
> us. Note: the same people we paid to handle our mail did that to us. They
> would find themselves on a blacklist, get our IP removed after a 12-24 hour
> period and then someone on the (small) team would commit something
> and we'd be blacklisted again. I wasn't involved with the IT department and
> I had no idea this was going on until I overheard it in the lunchroom. I
> patched the bug tracker, all was good, and I *never* told anyone what had
> happened.

Harvey, thanks for the suggestion and cautionary tale!
 - I finally did get this working, and it wasn't Mercurial, it was the FQDN ref in \
the Advanced Delivery menu for the SMTP server.  I had it explicitly referencing the \
source control box in addition to the generic domain instead of just using our \
generic domain.

Simple fixes hurt the most after a long scavenger hunt, but all good now - phew!

Cheers,
John