List:       mercurial
Subject:    RE: Thanks for the hg facilities!
From:       "Kastner Masilko, Friedrich" <kastner-masilko () at ! festo ! com>
Date:       2014-11-17 8:43:26

> From: mercurial-bounces@selenic.com [mailto:mercurial->bounces@selenic.com] On \
> Behalf Of Ben Schmidt
> I use hg-git with projects that use Git, rather than use Git itself.
>
> It has some limitations, but I prefer to work around them than mess around
> with Git.

+1

Out of curiousity, I've tried to clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git yesterday \
evening via hg-git in TortoiseHg 3.1.2 on Windows. These are my findings:

* hg-git reported an object count of around 130000.
* "Compressing objects" state lasted about 1.5 mins, mostly hanging on the last 15 \
                objects, as it seemed from the progress in TortoiseHg.
* The object download itself took about 5 mins. The "git" directory in the ".hg" \
folder of the resulting repo - a genuine git clone of the packed repo AFAIK - has a \
                size of about 200MB.
* Following conversion from git to hg objects took a really long time of 11 hours. \
The resulting "store" folder has a size of about 400MB. The git-mapfile - mapping git \
                hashes to Mercurial hashes - has a size of 10MB.
* Size of working directory for git hash 0921dbc3ab4dcc6b291ef45e46a24b322bbcb885 is \
around 130MB.

If somebody is interested, I can push it to Bitbucket, and also zip up the hg-git \
metadata to spare you the initial conversion time.

Development Engineering Software Suite
Festo Gesellschaft m.b.H.
Linzer Strasse 227
Austria - 1140 Wien

Firmenbuch Wien
FN 38435y
UID: ATU14650108

Tel: +43(1)91075-198
Fax:
www.festo.at

Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail und moeglicher Anhaenge sind ausschliesslich fuer den \
bezeichneten Adressaten bestimmt. Jede Form der Kenntnisnahme, Veroeffentlichung, \
Vervielfaeltigung oder Weitergabe des Inhalts dieser E-Mail und moeglicher Anhaenge \
durch unberechtigte Dritte ist unzulaessig. Wir bitten Sie, sich mit dem Absender der \
E-Mail in Verbindung zu setzen, falls Sie nicht der Adressat dieser E-Mail sind sowie \
das Material von Ihrem Computer zu loeschen.

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the \
addressee. The perusal, publication, copying or dissemination of the contents of this \
e-mail by unauthorised third parties is prohibited. If you are not the intended \
recipient of this e-mail, please delete it and immediately notify the sender.