List:       mercurial
Subject:    Re: Pull requests and bookmarks on Bitbucket
From:       Martin Geisler <martin () geisler ! net>
Date:       2013-09-19 20:47:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Matthew Turk <matthewturk@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Martin,
>
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 3:13 AM, Martin Geisler <martin@geisler.net> wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> You cannot create pull requests on Bitbucket using bookmarks:
>>
>>   https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issue/6705/cant-create-pull-request-from-hg-bookmark
>>
>> (Please go vote on the issue if you're also waiting for this to be
>> fixed. There are currently 25 votes.)
>>
>> What do people here use instead to do pre-merge code review?
>>
>> A workflow that could work is to fork the repository on Bitbucket for
>> each feature. Forking a repo takes about a minute (the repo is 190 MB)
>> so it's not a super light-weight operation. Worse, someone would need to
>> remove the forked repos later when they're no longer needed.
>>
>> I would prefer a workflow where each team member has his own repo for
>> pushes. He'll then use that as the source for all pull requests.
>> Bitbucket only supports that if we use named branches -- which in turn
>> seems like overkill for a pull request with one-two new commits.
>
> For the teams I'm on that use BB, we use individual repos and pull
> requests from those repos. As the reporter of the bug linked above, I
> think I should mention that I poorly titled it -- you *can* create
> pull requests from bookmarks, they just only show up as changeset
> hashes. So typically individuals have multiple bookmarks going and as
> code review is to happen we issue a pull request from a head.

I went back and tested things again... and found that pull requests work
much better than I thought!

In short: you can create pull requests as long as you select the head by
its changeset hash and use two separate repositories. The preview will
be wrong when you create the request, but it is correct afterwards.

See my comment here for what I found:

  https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issue/6705/cant-create-pull-request-from-hg-bookmark#comment-6135086

Please comment on the bug if my findings seem incorrect. I'll be testing
this out for real in the next days...

--
Martin Geisler