List:       mercurial
Subject:    RE: Why are tags in commits
From:       "Kastner Masilko, Friedrich" <kastner-masilko () at ! festo ! com>
Date:       2013-02-28 8:08:36

> From: Jensen, Aaron [mailto:ajensen@webmd.net]
>
> But I don't think it's necessary when *merging between branches*.
> According to the [Tag wiki page](http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Tag)
> (and Mercurial 2.3.1 behavior):
>
> > The tags that are in effect at any given time are the tags
> specified in each head.
>
> So, why merge .hgtags between branches?  It simplifies user workflows,
> especially when you've got automated builds that tag revisions as part
> of a build/test/release pipeline.

I guess you mean NAMED branches here, as this is the common notion of a branch in \
Mercurial. If so, your proposal is still no solution, because the tag mechanism seems \
to ignore branch-heads, but goes straight for topological heads, at least in 2.4 . I \
also think using branch-heads is a bad trade-off between having this corner-case work \
and overall performance, so I see why it was done the way it is.

As I wrote before, this is no speculation, but experience, as I tried it myself with \
a test repository. If you have 2 named branches X and Y, and 2 heads, where you tag \
one head x1 (with a commit in X) and the other y1 (with a commit in Y), and then \
merge Y to X with your method, you will lose one tag for the time there is only one \
topological head (the merge commit) in the repo. Of course the tag re-appears if you \
update to Y and commit another topological head onto the branch-head. Just keep in \
mind that there is a difference between branch-heads and topological ones.

regards,
Fritz

Development Software Systems
Festo Gesellschaft m.b.H.
Linzer Strasse 227
Austria - 1140 Wien

Firmenbuch Wien
FN 38435y
UID: ATU14650108

Tel: +43(1)91075-198
Fax: +43(1)91075-282
www.festo.at

Der Inhalt dieses E-Mails ist ausschliesslich fuer den bezeichneten Adressaten \
bestimmt. Jede Form der Kenntnisnahme, Veroeffentlichung, Vervielfaeltigung oder \
Weitergabe des Inhalts dieses E-Mails durch unberechtigte Dritte ist unzulaessig. Wir \
bitten Sie, sich mit dem Absender des E-Mails in Verbindung zu setzen, falls Sie \
nicht der Adressat dieses E-Mails sind und das Material von Ihrem Computer zu \
loeschen.

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the \
addressee. The perusal, publication, copying or dissemination of the contents of this \
e-mail by unauthorised third parties is prohibited. If you are not the intended \
recipient of this e-mail, please delete it and immediately notify the sender.