List:       mercurial
Subject:    Re: Converting a private repo to a public one
From:       Michael Diamond <dimo414 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-02-18 14:37:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Vadim Lebedev <vadim@mbdsys.com> wrote:

> On 12/02/13 16:05, Isaac Jurado wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Vadim Lebedev <vadim@mbdsys.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if
>>>
>>>   hg --config=convert.hg.startrev=**R10 convert
>>> http://server/private_repo
>>> public_repo
>>>
>>> will completely avoid brnging Changset < R10  to my local machine
>>>
>> What do you mean exactly?
>>
>>  Suuppose that revision R10-1  contains a very big file which i want to
> avoid downloading even
> temporarily on my machine....
>
> You're likely to run convert multiple times to confirm you get everything
right, so the safest operation's going to involve having pulled down the
original repo locally, just to save on traffic.  But if you *really* wanted
to avoid downloading all revisions, it might be theoretically possible, but
I doubt that's how Mercurial handles it.  After all, most convert calls do
want to start from R1, so the use case isn't all that useful.

Part of the problem is that the files are stored as diffs - if you started
at R10, you'd have to work back down previous revisions to build up the
original file.  So it's much more logical for convert to start from R1 and
apply the necessary diffs in order, not committing the unwanted revisions,
than to work backwards and repeatedly invert diffs

Michael