List:       mercurial
Subject:    Re: Changing the language of the hg interface to English
From:       "Na'Tosha Bard" <natosha () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-04-18 21:06:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Matt Mackall <mpm@selenic.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 15:11 +0000, Teddy Todorov wrote:
> > Thank you very much, setting
> >
> > export LC_MESSAGES=en
> >
> > gives the desired result. Before the "export" the variable LC_MESSAGES
> was not set and I had this sort of output:
>
> Mercurial uses the standard mechanisms to localize itself, so the real
> question is why isn't the rest of your desktop speaking French?

I wondered the same thing.  But I've seen similar behavior, too.  On OS X,
at least, Mercurial *usually*, but not always, speaks whatever the desktop
speaks, even if "location" is set elsewhere.  For example, my work machine
is set to Denmark for purpose of date formats, etc, but is set to use
American English as the language, and Mercurial speaks English there.  On
my personal MacBook, it is set to Denmark for purpose of date formats, etc,
but also speaks Danish, and Mercurial speaks Danish too (well, some
broken/weirdly translated Danish, anyway).

However, we have had a couple of people in the office who had their
desktops set to English, but location set to Denmark, and Mercurial
insisted on speaking Danish until they changed some obscure locale setting
. . . maybe the mechanisms by which locale is set/determined on OS X is not
consistent?

Cheers,
Na'Tosha