List:       mercurial
Subject:    Re: Two major releases per year instead of three
From:       Adrian Buehlmann <adrian () cadifra ! com>
Date:       2011-07-28 11:45:35

On 2011-07-28 13:17, Andreas Tscharner wrote:
> On 28.07.2011 09:32, Adrian Buehlmann wrote:
> > No one hinders you from using the default branch of
> >
> > http://selenic.com/repo/hg
>
> Maybe I am completely wrong, but I always had the feeling that building
> Mercurial from source was not quite straight forward (concerning the C
> parts), so I always wait...

Lame! No excuse!

For Windows, we have frequent "unstable" binary packages of TortoiseHg at

https://bitbucket.org/tortoisehg/thg-winbuild/downloads/

These include command line hg as built from default branch tip of the main
mercurial repo. If you see these not being fresh enough, please ping me.
I sometimes build and upload new ones if Steve doesn't.
(I don't really like the name "unstable" for these packages...)

On Linux it's dead simple, really:

adi@ubuntu1:~/tmp$ hg clone http://selenic.com/repo/hg hg-main
requesting all changes
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
added 14940 changesets with 29191 changes to 2054 files
updating to branch default
930 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved

adi@ubuntu1:~/tmp$ cd hg-main
adi@ubuntu1:~/tmp/hg-main$ make
Commonly used make targets:
  all          - build program and documentation
  install      - install program and man pages to PREFIX (/usr/local)
  install-home - install with setup.py install --home=HOME (/home/adi)
  local        - build for inplace usage
  tests        - run all tests in the automatic test suite
  test-foo     - run only specified tests (e.g. test-merge1)
  dist         - run all tests and create a source tarball in dist/
  clean        - remove files created by other targets
                 (except installed files or dist source tarball)
  update-pot   - update i18n/hg.pot

Example for a system-wide installation under /usr/local:
  make all && su -c "make install" && hg version

Example for a local installation (usable in this directory):
  make local && ./hg version

adi@ubuntu1:~/tmp/hg-main$ make local
python setup.py  build_py -c -d . build_ext -i build_mo
running build_py
byte-compiling ./mercurial/patch.py to patch.pyc
  ..
byte-compiling ./hgext/inotify/linux/__init__.py to __init__.pyc
byte-compiling ./hgext/inotify/linux/watcher.py to watcher.pyc
running build_ext
building 'mercurial.base85' extension
creating build
creating build/temp.linux-i686-2.7
creating build/temp.linux-i686-2.7/mercurial
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes \
-fPIC -I/usr/include/python2.7 -c mercurial/base85.c -o \
build/temp.linux-i686-2.7/mercurial/base85.o gcc -pthread -shared -Wl,-O1 \
-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions \
build/temp.linux-i686-2.7/mercurial/base85.o -o \
/home/adi/tmp/hg-main/mercurial/base85.so building 'mercurial.bdiff' extension
  ..
adi@ubuntu1:~/tmp/hg-main$ ./hg version
Mercurial Distributed SCM (version 1.9+83-b4c06b97dfe0)
(see http://mercurial.selenic.com for more information)

Copyright (C) 2005-2011 Matt Mackall and others
adi@ubuntu1:~/tmp/hg-main$

You can symlink this local "hg" somewhere into your path.