List:       mercurial
Subject:    Re: Best Practicies/How to question
From:       Tom Widmer <tom.widmer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-07-26 9:11:54

On 25/07/2011 19:32, charlie@thegallos.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to the list, and fairly new to mercurial, and have 2 releated
> questions
>
> Back in the SourceSafe days (I know, I know - boo hiss), I used to track
> my 'documents' directory quite easily, as each file was tracked as a file,
> and it was easy to say "get the version of this file that was from last
> week".  What is the BEST way to do the same thing with Hg?  Basically it
> comes down to the N files in the directory are NOT really related that
> they should be done in a changeset

Hmm, this isn't really a strength of Mercurial, the tracking of
individual document versions. It's main purpose is tracking revisions of
a source code tree. In particular, it isn't very good at:
a) storing binary data (since the diff compression tends to be poor for
binary data, unless you use a special 'filter' for formats like docx or
odf that are actually just zip files)
b) tracking files individually, rather than tracking a whole tree
c) tracking files that aren't readily mergeable (where the locking model
of SourceSafe is preferable)

That said, for personal use, it's probably fine, and you can get at old
revisions of individual files with 'hg cat' (or the equivalent from your
gui tool, e.g. by right clicking on a file in the manifest view in THG,
or reverting the individual file in the working copy). For non-personal
use, you'd be better with document management system of some kind (there
are free options available, but there are generally significant set up
costs) or (heaven forbid) sticking with SourceSafe.

Kind regards,

Tom