List:       mercurial
Subject:    Re: Documentation and search engines
From:       Martin Geisler <mg () lazybytes ! net>
Date:       2010-12-27 13:23:15

John Peberdy <john@peberdy.ca> writes:

> In any case I think it is important that the documentation be
> searchable. For many people if it doesn't exist in google it doesn't
> exist. For example when I first started using Mercurial 6 months ago I
> got the incorrect impression that Mercurial was poorly documented.
> Doing a search for phrases like "file_copies" (a template keyword)
> returns Mercurial results but no useful documentation.
>
> By the way, selenic.com/repo is also disallowed by robots.txt. I think
> many hgweb instances would disallow indexing and those that don't
> might not be linked to.
>
> The docs are in reStructuredText - why don't we just periodically
> export it to a static page on selenic.com?

We sort of do that already, here is the help for 'hg add' for example:

  http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/hg.1.html#add

Erik Zielke has some patches that makes the built-in help use the
docutils code to render the pages -- that way they look really nice and
we should make them the canonical entry point for each command.

I guess the selenic.com/repo dir is excluded from robots because they
would generate a lot of traffic if they went ahead and archived every
page for every changeset. But the help dir should be indexed.

--
Martin Geisler

aragost Trifork
Professional Mercurial support