List:       mercurial
Subject:    Re: hg rollback / hg revert / hg ?? a merge - hg merge could tell it
From:       Greg Ward <greg-hg () gerg ! ca>
Date:       2010-06-29 13:57:33

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Mads Kiilerich <mads@kiilerich.com> wrote:
> I tend to agree. Perhaps a more convenient alias could be added, but right
> now "hg update --clean ." is the right way to do it.

IMHO there should not be a convenient alias for "update -C .".  The
whole purpose of "update -C ." is to destroy information.  It throws
away any uncommitted changes in your working directory.  It's
*dangerous*!  It's also essential, of course, which is why it exists.
And yes, it should definitely be mentioned in the help for merge,
using words like "discard uncommitted changes with no way to recover
them".  I'm neutral on mentioning it in an advisory message: that
seems like inviting some poor unsuspecting soul to destroy their
uncommitted changes when that's not really what they meant to do.

Greg