List:       mercurial
Subject:    Re: Merge commits do only show files changed during the merge as
From:       Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan () ochtman ! nl>
Date:       2008-11-29 15:53:15

jens.lund@nordea.com wrote:
> I am in doubt about what I would propose as the correct behaviour for
> the log, but I definitely find the behaviour for hgk/hgtk log
> misleading.

Benoit Boissinot has been kicking around "merge diffs", that can
somewhat-intuitively show diffs for merge changesets...

What hg's core is saying for the merge changeset is effectively "there
are no new file revisions in this changeset", which is often correct
because all files have been taken fully from either parent (what I
sometimes call a trivial-merge). This is why the merge doesn't mention
any changed files. Diffing against both parents at the same time, as
Benoit's diff algorithm would do, would show the actual changes.

Cheers,

Dirkjan