List:       mercurial
Subject:    Re: Multiple commiters sharing repo clones
From:       Dustin Sallings <dustin () spy ! net>
Date:       2007-09-20 1:04:13

On Sep 19, 2007, at 17:33 , Micah Cowan wrote:

> Okay... I had wondered where one might choose to use named branches
> rather than repository clones, and I suppose this is one such place.
>
> But, how easy is it to view branches in the source browser? In
> Subversion, this is extremely straightforward, since tags and branches
> are represented directly in the file hierarchy. I'm imagining that
> viewing branches in Mercurial would be significantly less
> straightforward, especially in comparison to a set of repositories.

	Well...it depends.  What do you want to see?

	http://hg.west.spy.net/hg/memcached/

	You can see several branches in there, along with the manifest from
the tip of the branch (although there are only two being developed
concurrently at the moment, counting default):

dustintmb:~/prog/memcached 606% hg branches -a
binary-protocol                218:6fdd462f771b

> Well, that'd work if I want "someone" to see my work in progress, but
> probably not if I want "everyone" to see my repo. I would like to
> encourage developers to _publish_ their ongoing work.

	It's a balance.

	Branches are effectively discouraged in most centralized systems.
They create extra garbage that you generally have to look at
forever.  I like making micro-branches to try something out now and
then.  I just wouldn't do it if I knew that everyone would see
everything I tried.  That's why I like distributed systems.  :)

	At the same time, you do want more official work to be more
official.  Named branches make that pretty easy where you need them
in my experience.

--
Dustin Sallings