List:       meego-il10n
Subject:    [MeeGo-il10n] I10n guidelines for developers
From:       michal () sawicz ! net (=?UTF-8?Q?Micha=C5=82?= Sawicz)
Date:       2010-09-13 21:46:35

Hi all,

Since most of the handset apps are currently under heavy l10n, I would
like to propose that we hand the developers a set of guidelines
(probably copypasted / distilled from readymade sources like [1]).

I'm writing this because I've just taken a look at a few strings in
libmeegotouch [2] and it doesn't look l10n- (nor developer-, TBH)
friendly at all :/

Splitting the strings into 'start', 'middle', 'end' greatly complicates
things for translation and I hope that we can get developers to
understand that, especially since there are tools designed especially
for that purpose.

I understand that this might be too late for some, and probably not a
welcome addition to the devs' plate that's probably already full, but I
hope we can get at least some of these things right from the start
instead of having to fix it later.

[1] http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/DevGuidelines
[2]
http://meego.gitorious.org/meegotouch/libmeegotouch/blobs/master/src/translations/libmeegotouch_en.ts