List:       meego-dev
Subject:    Re: [MeeGo-dev] Yocto (new release)
From:       Samuel Stirtzel <s.stirtzel () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2011-10-25 14:06:56

2011/10/25 Ross Burton <ross@linux.intel.com>:
> On Sun, 2011-10-23 at 23:51 +0200, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
>> Has anyone tried to build MeeGo with Yocto? It looks like its starting
>> to mature a great deal as a project, lots of cross-platform support.
>> Any feedback on Yocto, OE, or Bitbake from this list?

Hi Jeremiah, a colleague got parts of the Netbook UX running with
OpenEmbedded, but this was back at the time of OpenEmbedded classic.
Currently I mainly use OpenEmbedded Core, but lately I tried the new
Poky release and liked it.
Using a GUI (Hob) to get an overview of available packages is very comforta=
ble.

Bitbake itself is a really smart program, using Autotools informations
that already exists for most packages makes it very easy to add new
software.
In example I took an already programmed Qt application and slightly
adjusted the makefile, used a basic recipe template and compiled it,
that's all and IMHO it is amazing.
Of course it is not always that simple, but for stand alone
applications that only provide a GUI and some logic it works well out
of the box.

> Starting to mature? =A0Poky had been used in commercial products for
> several years when it was acquired by Intel in 2008. :)

Ross, looking at the realignment of OpenEmbedded Core and Yocto, IMO,
the new release was a great step forward.
Personally I pretty much like the process, in which Yocto benefits
from patches sent for OE Core and vice versa.

Now and then I still wondered about why Intel didn't adapt Meego in
Yocto/Poky, because both are very interesting projects.
And right now I wonder where Meego will be in the future.

> Ross

-- =

Regards
Samuel