List:       meego-dev
Subject:    Re: [MeeGo-dev] MeeGo Reconstructed - a plan of action and
From:       Samuel Stirtzel <s.stirtzel () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2011-10-04 14:19:28

Hi,
maybe I'm wrong but the Scratchbox mailing lists looks pretty dead
right now (see [1]). Is there any community alive behind it, or should
the "new MeeGo project" reanimate Scratchbox if it would be used?

2011/10/4 Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster@pelagicore.com>:
>> OBS is built with packaging in mind, so it builds packages locally and
>> on servers in a sanitized environment. Scratchbox may be polluted by
>> whatever packages a developer has installed and makes dependency
>> tracking a bit harder IMO.
>
> I agree that working in a dirty chroot is problematic. That is why there is
> pbuilder and cowdancer.

Wouldn't it be better to use a decentral build system? Can a mobile
segment distro like MeeGo be really compared with a desktop segment
distro like e.g. embedded Ubuntu? (This is not relative to your
message but a general rhetorical question.)
Well I didn't use embedded Debian as example because Emdebian mailing
lilsts seem to be pretty dead [2].

> Before it was just big companies that could create their own Linux distros
> (before that everyone had their bespoke UNIX distro) nowadays fragmentation
> is brought to you by every Tom, Dick and Harry with an OBS login.
> I've been down the fragmentation road before. It always ends with retracing
> your path back to the main highway.

There seems to be much standardization work going on in the Yocto
Project / OpenEmbedded Core (see [3], also Carsten already mentioned
the Yocto Project in context of governance), anyone evaluated it?
The Yocto Project / OpenEmbedded was discussed before in the IVI
mailing list (see [4]), but it lacks any technical explanations and
arguments why it cannot be used / or get adapted, also OpenEmbedded
progressed into the new OpenEmbedded Core Project (the next release is
just one step away).
On a technical point of view it is possible to port over to Yocto
Project, and it would make sence to concentrate the development of
embedded linux distributions to unify them into a single development
base instead of fragmenting the communities.

Well I just stated my opinion here.

[1] http://lists.scratchbox.org/pipermail/scratchbox-devel/
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/2011/09/threads.html
[3] http://www.yoctoproject.org/projects/openembedded-core