List:       meego-dev
Subject:    Re: [MeeGo-dev] Meego Video API's
From:       Stefan Kost <ensonic () hora-obscura ! de>
Date:       2011-03-22 10:27:01

hi,

On 04.03.2011 21:12, ext Soussi, Slim wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I would like to know what APIs are available for Video decoding
> acceleration on MeeGo Tablets?
>
> Can we access VAAPI? Can we access OpenMax IL?

For application developers this all should not matter. We are
encouraging adaptation vendors to provide gstreamer plugins. gstreamer
provides a stable plugin api that they can build their plugins against.
This way the plugins will work in various meego versions. The licensing
model would allow the to ship the plugins as binary only if needed. Its
up to the vendor if they talk to their video accelerator solution
directly via a kernel driver (v4l2 is making interesting progress here)
or if they use extra layers as openmax or vaapi inbetween.

Stefan