List:       meego-dev
Subject:    [MeeGo-dev] Meego spec - for comment
From:       thiago () kde ! org (Thiago Macieira)
Date:       2010-09-09 13:25:22

Em Quinta-feira 09 Setembro 2010, ?s 14:37:56, Frederic Crozat escreveu:
> > Therefore, if we say that "a MeeGo-compliant RPM is allowed to declare
> > dependencies to the packages on MeeGo Core", is that a problem for SUSE
> > MeeGo? Declaring dependencies implies that all MeeGo-based distros and
> > devices carry the exact same package names and versions, differing only
> > on build numbers (the release).
>
> Ok for package names. For version, we should have the same version or
> maybe more recent version (I don't think it has happen yet, but it could
> happen, who knows).

We have to check if upgrading beyond patch-level fixes is acceptable.

I would prefer that it is, but I can come up also with a couple of arguments
against that.

> > We're also saying that you can't remove any package from the Core
> > repository.
>
> I've checked and we ship almost everything : I'm not sure about
> cross-gcc stuff, but I might be wrong.

Hmm... then I think we have stuff in Core that shouldn't be there. In fact, I'd
propose reserving Core to "what must be available for on-device usage, all
devices". SDK tools must definitely be present too, but in a separate
repository.

> > I'd like to see that the MeeGo Extras/Community repository be allowed
> > too. How would this affect SUSE MeeGo? How is it possible to guarantee
> > that this repository is compatible with any vendor's variant?
>
> For SUSE MeeGo, I think it should work "out of the box", since we ensure to
> use similar OBS setup as the one used on "upstream" MeeGo and our package
> are based on "upstream" MeeGo (if not the same).

That's good. But I didn't understand if you meant that you'd simply rebuild
all the apps in Extras/Community, or if you'd use the existing one.

> I see one possible issue :
> Core/Netbook repositories might not be enabled by default. Same for
> MeeGo Extras/Community.

I'd say that the distribution must come with a Core repository enabled and one
for its vertical, at minimum. That doesn't mean it has to be the same one from
MeeGo upstream.

If SUSE MeeGo rebuilds some or all of the packages, it can point to its own
Core repository. The same would be natural for a build for a different
architecture, like MIPS: there is no upstream meego.com MIPS repository to
point to.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358