List:       meego-dev
Subject:    [MeeGo-dev] non SSSE3 MeeGo
From:       thiago () kde ! org (Thiago Macieira)
Date:       2010-08-13 23:05:02

On Saturday 14. August 2010 00.35.59 Jean-Christian de Rivaz wrote:
> Thiago Macieira a ?crit :
> > On Saturday 14. August 2010 00.04.48 Jean-Christian de Rivaz wrote:
> >> Sorry but I perfectly live for years with machines that have kernel and
> >> xorg stuff without any SSSE3 instruction. And I am pretty sure that I am
> >> not the only one.
> >
> > Including low-powered processors like the Atom, without out-of-order
> > execution? Really?
>
> This become really frustrating. Is the only goal of Meego to make me
> buying a Atom processor ? What's for a joke :-(

I thought the objective of Maemo was to make you buy an ARM processor. How is
that different?

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that developers should be able to
develop for MeeGo on whichever computers they have.

There are two problems here: first, it's that this thread came across wrong. No
one is suggesting that we don't optimise MeeGo for devices. The SSSE3 build
will continue to exist and be used by devices. For such low-powered platforms,
it's silly not to use the most out of the hardware.

The second is that people are getting confused by the fact that some of the
devices MeeGo is targetting are x86. People seem to think they should be able
to run the MeeGo binaries on their desktop Linux. It's better to start
thinking of MeeGo-for-Atom as a completely different architecture. Pretend
you're cross-compiling: so you don't run the binaries directly. Either you put
them on a device that has the necessary processor, or you emulate.

Again: developers should be able to develop. Build locally, natively, make
your tests. Then cross-compile for the target device and test there.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358