List:       meego-dev
Subject:    [MeeGo-dev] Suggestion on new project ideas
From:       thiago () kde ! org (Thiago Macieira)
Date:       2010-08-10 12:44:11

Em Ter?a-feira 10 Agosto 2010, ?s 14:03:22, Yves-Alexis Perez escreveu:

> > Because NM is a huge beast, far too complex for its own good. Outside of
> > distributions, very few people have had success deploying it. And that
> > doesn't negate its size...
>
> Not that I really like NM, but that's personal taste. But I was
> wondering how many people ?outside of distributionbs? even try to deploy
> it? Because I'm not sure there are so many of them anyway.

I'm running a distribution that doesn't use NM (Mandriva). If I want to use
the KDE NM applet, I need to deploy NM. (And that applet is still not working
properly, contrary to what the blog said, it's a constant source of complaints
in the #kde IRC channel, probably losing only to PulseAudio)

So instead I stay with Mandriva's Perl-Gtk-based net_applet, whose theme is
completely alien to my desktop and my systray.

NM tries to integrate with the distro networking scripts. For the distros that
integrate NM by default, it's work done already, since those scripts are
tailored to with with NM. For the other distros, it's playing catch-up all the
time and finding unusual or obscure issues, or not working at all.

Now, deploying Connman would actually be harder. Connman does not try to
integrate with the distro networking scripts at all, it bypasses them, it
controls the network entirely on its own. But that's actually one of connman's
strengths: it's lean and has no indirection.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358