List:       meego-community
Subject:    Re: [MeeGo-community] [MeeGo-dev] WTF is Tizen !?!?! A takeover on
From:       Andrew Flegg <andrew () bleb ! org>
Date:       2011-09-28 12:44:22

[Moving to 'meego-community']

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 13:35, Florent Viard <fviard@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, my MAIN CONCERN IS ABOUT THE GOVERNANCE:
> Tizen looks like to be more a takeover against the open governance of MeeGo.

Without commenting further on the merits of this, it's been obvious
for a long time (since the start of the project, maybe) that MeeGo's
open development & open governance was a promise (and its stated USP)
that it could not live up to.

The TSG are absent. There is no architectural discussion publicly.
There is no roadmap. There is no public discussion of specifications
for implementing new features.

Tizen's governance model recognises that Intel & LF could not achieve
this with MeeGo. LiMo's development to date has been closed by design.

This does raise the obvious question as to what Tizen's USP *is*,
since MeeGo's was its open development/open source compared with, say,
Android's closed development/open source. Tizen seems to be the same
governance as Android, with no UI; no framework; no apps. The promise
is of "HTML5" apps; but then why would a vendor use Tizen as the base
rather than Android, or Windows - both of which also target "HTML5"
apps.

Cheers,

Andrew

--