List:       mediawiki-l
Subject:    [MediaWiki-l] where can New Account notification templates be found?
From:       Emyoulation--- via MediaWiki-l <mediawiki-l () lists ! wikimedia ! org>
Date:       2021-03-25 18:16:04

I've looked through the FAQ and searched numerous forums & sites. But am having \
problems finding a reference page about New Account creation that mentions where to \
customize the messages and content created for New Accounts on a MediaWiki site. I \
found where to customize the form that they have to submit and know how to find the \
new User pages that are created.

When a new user submits a form, they automatically receive:
   1) an eMail requesting confirmation of the eMail address submitted

When an admin/bureaucrat approves an account request, they receive:
   1) an eMail with a message containing password and user page
   2) a new user Discussion/Talk page with a Welcome message

Our MediaWiki installation has cycled through a few rounds of Admins over the years.  \
So we've lost the knowledge of the people who originally configured these features.

But now we need to customize the Welcome because too many new users fail to edit \
content of the wiki. Most report they did not understand how to get started. And the \
MediaWiki Help page referenced in the Welcome message is overwhelming. (And confused \
a few people who thought they had to edit our site's pages from another domain.)

So I asking for hints of how where to locate the customization of the Welcome content \
transcluded when automation creates the new user Discussion/Talk page.