List:       mediawiki-l
Subject:    [MediaWiki-l] ANN: Version 2.0.0 of the Memento MediaWiki Extension
From:       Shawn Jones <sjone () cs ! odu ! edu>
Date:       2014-06-15 2:18:07

All,

Thanks to the feedback of Wikimedia developers, version 2.0.0 of the Memento time \
travel Extension for MediaWiki has been released.  The extension can be downloaded \
via [1].  Information on the extension is available at [2].  A demonstration wiki \
equipped with the extension is available at [3].

The extension works with Memento clients [4] to allow one to browse pages on an \
installation of MediaWiki as if it were some datetime in the past.  This has numerous \
applications, from avoiding spoilers [5] to studying the changes in law.

Recently, at WikiConference USA 2014, we presented our experiences reconstructing the \
past using MediaWiki [6, 7], and demonstrated using the extension to avoid spoilers \
[8, 9].

The extension is fully compliant with RFC 7089 [10], which specifies the Memento \
protocol.  The effort was supported in part by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and is \
a joint effort between Old Dominion University and Los Alamos National Laboratory.

The Memento protocol extends HTTP to support content negotiation with time, allowing \
one to view past versions of web pages.  This document [11] provides insight into the \
added value that the protocol brings to MediaWiki.  Videos [12], and [13] show \
Memento at work in the web at large.  The latter pays significant attention to \
temporal navigation in Wikipedia, and hence illustrates that the Memento Team \
considers time travel in MediaWiki platforms a major use case of the protocol.  Video \
[14] shows how one could use the Memento MediaWiki Extension to avoid spoilers in \
fan-based wikis.

The Memento protocol is currently used by major web archives [15] and supported by \
the International Internet Preservation Consortium [16].

Once again, the Memento team is appreciative of all of the feedback from the \
Wikimedia team, and just because we have reached 2.0.0 doesn't mean that we don't \
seek additional input in order to improve the code.

On behalf of the Memento Team,

Shawn M. Jones
Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Computer Science