List:       mediawiki-l
Subject:    Re: [MediaWiki-l] [Mediawiki-enterprise] WG: How to make MediaWiki easier to install: use cases
From:       Bill Traynor <btraynor () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-06-12 14:49:02

Just thought I'm add my use case, which is very close to 3.

I manage 2 mediawiki installations on separate servers.  One is a
shared scenario where I do not have root, but do have full write
access to my installation directory.  The second, I have root.  In
both cases, I manage both core and extensions using Git.  I have not
had the time to look into Composer yet, although I'm not sure why I
would, as I prefer the Git method.  My only gripe is I don't track
Extensions as submodules, so I have to upgrade Extensions from the
command line individually using git pull, or git checkout REL1.nn
during version releases.

I really like how I do it now, as it gives me more control, and I'd
hope this method would not go away.