List:       mediawiki-l
Subject:    [MediaWiki-l] New extension DataVisualizer
From:       Nischay Nahata <nischayn22 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-03-19 16:34:27

Hi all,

I am glad to release an extension (also a library for developers) that can
be used to display data in visual format like bar graphs, pie charts etc.

There are a few extensions that let you display visual data in MediaWiki
but they didn't seem good in terms of extensibility and were not maintained
or were outdated. So we decided to make one that would be generic in the
sense that innumerable new views could be added to it and it could support
different types of JS libraries including d3, Raphael, etc

Our idea is that this could be one place for all sorts of customizable
visuals needed and extensions like SemanticResultsFormat could directly use
this. It could potentially be also used in Wikipedia to display results in
better ways rather than always displaying it using tables.

Examples are on the extension's MW page
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:DataVisualizer

Currently the extension is in its bare bones form (probably with a lot of
bugs sitting around it) and needs a lot of work but we decided to be
pragmatic and release it already. The source is at
https://github.com/nischayn22/DataVisualizer

For developers, an example usage with SemanticDrilldown is at
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/98390/10/specials/SD_BrowseData.php

--
Cheers,
Nischay Nahata