List:       mediawiki-l
Subject:    [MediaWiki-l] Splitting a shared database?
From:       Justin Lloyd <jllwyd.wiki () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-02-16 2:27:09

Hello all,

I have two version 1.16 wikis that use a shared database configuration that
I'd like to split (I'm working towards upgrading them to 1.20). Say X is
the database that has the user and user_properties tables, and Y is the one
that shares those tables. Would it be sufficient to mysqldump the user and
user_properties tables from X, import them into Y, and set $wgSharedDB to
null in the wiki that uses Y?

Also, what would the process be if I just wanted to upgrade the wikis to
1.20 but still with the shared configuration? One stumbling block so far is
that one database is about 5 GB and the shared one is around 50 GB. As a
test, I ran the 1.20 update.php script against a copy of the 5 GB database
and it took about 18 hours, though that's on a small (2 CPU, 1 GB RAM)
VMware VM. Even on the wiki database production hardware I'd be concerned
about how long an update.php run against the 50 GB database might take, as
I want to avoid a lengthy downtime. Is there any way to speed up the
process? Any field-tested recommendations on improving this procedure?

Thanks,
Justin