List:       mediawiki-l
Subject:    Re: [Mediawiki-l] Enabling the Common.js feature
From:       Benjamin Lees <emufarmers () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-05-24 21:04:08

One rather obvious point you could make is that $wgUseSiteJs is enabled by
default (and on Wikimedia projects!); if it were a gaping security
vulnerability, it would be disabled.  Somebody could potentially do nasty
things with JS, of course, but to do that he would need to have already
compromised your admin account, and at that point you'd already be screwed.
:-)

Beyond that, a good farm setup will allow your sysop to set different
settings for different wikis, so he shouldn't need to enable this for all
the wikis if he doesn't want to.  Changes to one wiki's JS shouldn't be able
to to affect anything on another wiki (assuming they're on separate
subdomains).

Of course, if you really just want this so you can change the favicon
location, why don't you ask your sysop to set $wgFavicon for your sub-wiki?