List:       mediawiki-l
Subject:    Re: [Mediawiki-l] "jump to" navigation and "From ...."
From:       "Jim Wilson" <wilson.jim.r () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-02-28 16:39:02

> If you want to remove the monobook code, delete on MonoBook.php lines...
>[SNIP]

Personally, I'd avoid this if possible. Those links are there to aid
navigation if the user has CSS disabled or is using a text-to-speech
browser.

Try disabling CSS and you'll see what I mean.  MediaWiki puts the pertinent
information (the article body) as close to the top of the page as reasonably
possible, with navigational and search elements further down the page.  The
"Jump to" links are there to aid in skipping past the article (sometimes
they can be very long!)

In any case, if you don't care about the non-CSS or text-to-speech use case,
then this doesn't matter.  However, if you're going to hack Monobook, I
_strongly recommend_ that you make a duplicate and call it something else -
then hack that one.  This should make your next upgrade easier as you don't
have to worry about modified core code.

-- Jim