List:       mediawiki-l
Subject:    Re: [Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki 1.6.3 installation problem
From:       "Michael Fearn (gmail)" <mikefearn () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-04-29 18:29:54

On 29/04/06, Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote:

> Michael Fearn (gmail) wrote:
> [snip]
> >    - Attempting to connect to database server as sitedb...success.
> >    - Connected to 3.23.58-log -- mysql 4.0 or later required. Aborting.
> >

> > This implies to me that the MediaWiki installer is being told the mysql
> > intalled on the webserver is version 3.23.58
> > However when I ssh into the webserver and do mysql -V it comes up with
> >
> >> Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.13 for portbld-freebsd4.11 (i386) using readline
> 5.0
> >>

> > 1) Which version (or versions) of mysql do people think is installed?
>
> Offhand it sounds like you have a mix: the command-line tools in your
> $PATH are
> 4.1, but you've got a 3.23 server running.

Now I have found that mysql 4.1 is installed on the webserver, but the mysql
database is on a different server with 3.23 installed.

[snip]

> 3) Can i change any settings in the MediaWiki installation or .htaccess to
> > force which version of mysql is used?
>
> There are two components:
>
> * Which running server you connect to is controlled by the server you
> specify.
> The default is 'localhost' which connects over a socket file, usually in
> /tmp/mysql.sock or /var/run/mysql.sock or something. If you are *running
> multiple servers at once* you can either connect explicitly to their TCP
> ports
> by eg "127.0.0.1:3307" or you can specify a different socket file in
> php.ini
> (see http://php.net/mysql for documentation on PHP's mysql interface)
>
> * Which version of the MySQL client libraries are linked into your
> application.
> Generally this doesn't matter, unless your server is 4.1 or higher and
> your
> library is 4.0 or lower you may have authentication problems. In this case
> the
> installer will show a warning and a URL to MySQL's documentation on this
> issue.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

I think my two main options may be:
a) work out how to use the mysql installed on the webserver to get and put
the data from and to the database on the databse server. - sounds more
complex but might be able to do it over the weekend, plus it might not work.
b) ask my website provder to change the version of mysql they use to host
the database - sounds easier, but i may have to wait a while, plus they
might not want to change it.
As it is nice and sunny outside, I think the latter is preferable at the
moment.

Many thanks,
Michael