List:       mediawiki-l
Subject:    Re: [Mediawiki-l] Re: 1.5rc3: navigation box
From:       Rowan Collins <rowan.collins () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-30 21:07:30

On 30 Aug 2005 19:01:19 +0200, Patrick Gundlach <pg@levana.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Dan Kohn has a good HOWTO
> > document on his website: http://www.dankohn.com/archives/000338.html.
> > This will add a 'tower' style block of adverts down the left-hand
> > side of your Wiki, underneath the navigation box.
>
> Yes, but this is exactly the skin hacking I want to avoid... Any other
> ideas?

Hack the code which interprets MediaWiki:sidebar instead
(includes/Skin.php, function buildSidebar())? But you'll still have to
hack the skin as well, because that function doesn't define the
markup, it defines the data structures which the skin uses to generate
the markup.

But if you do it "nicely", you could submit it as a patch at
bugzilla.wikimedia.org; if it comes out ugly, you could link it to
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Mediawiki_Hacks instead...

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]