List:       mdbtools-dev
Subject:    Re: [mdb-dev] "A discussion of what's new in Access 12"
From:       Brian Bruns <brian.bruns () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-10-17 13:22:02

Interesting.

The key words are "The new version is fully backwards compatible with the
old, so it will read & write files from earlier versions without any
problems". Does this mean the core database format remains the same, or is
this the old "save as access 97 format" trick? I'm hoping for the former.
There were solid reasons for changing from JET3 to JET4 (unicode) but
they've stuck with JET4 through two versions and I don't see any obvious
reason to scrap it now.

The complex data thing seems more relevent to userland (Access) then to the
core engine. Maybe we can look forward to a few new system tables and that'=
it, hopefully.

Brian