List:       maven-user
Subject:    Re: Best practices for java version?
From:       Dirk Olmes <dirk () xanthippe ! ping ! de>
Date:       2008-03-31 23:54:47

Milos Kleint wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:57 AM, Dirk Olmes <dirk@xanthippe.ping.de> wrote:
>> Milos Kleint wrote:
>>  > check the toolchains proposal that is supposed to address this issue.
>>  >
>>  > http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Toolchains
>>
>>  The way the toolchain proposal chooses is somewhat doable with Maven
>>  right now: define a set of VM specific properties in each developers'
>>  settings.xml and use that in the config of the various plugins.
>
> toolchains also ensures that any plugin that understands toochains
> will ue them, thus instead of configuring compiler-plugin,
> surefire-plugin, javadoc-plugin etc. you just configure the toolchain.

But I would still have to tell the plugins which jdk to use from the
toolchain config, would I?

>>  What I don't like about the appraoch is that one has to hand-maintain
>>  the properties/toolchain.xml still. If I update my JDK, I still have to
>>  remember updating the settings or the build will break.
>
> oh well, what do you mean by "update my jdk"? the default jdk you run
> stuff with on your computer?

No, it's about the various JDKs that are needed to do the build.
Example: you need JDK 1.4 and JDK 5 for building, that's currently
jdk-1.4.2.17 and jdk-1.5.0.15 on my machine. I use both JDKs to build
the software, only one at a time.

I have to update the PATH, JAVA_HOME etc each time a JDK is updated (ok
I'm on Gentoo so that's all done for my by the distro but for the sake
of the discussion let's image I would be on windows). With the toolchain
I don't only have to update my environment but also update the
toolchain.xml and maybe even some more config locations e.g. netbeans'
JDK config comes to mind.

-dirk