List:       maven-dev
Subject:    Re: Severe assembly plugin problem
From:       John Casey <jdcasey () commonjava ! org>
Date:       2007-07-31 2:02:42

On Jul 30, 2007, at 8:18 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

>> I've added code in 2.2-beta-2-snap to address this problem...at
>> least, it should address it. I added resolution to the plugin
>> before 2.2-beta-1 because there were issues when people wanted to
>> create an assembly that didn't require dependencies to be
>> resolved, and the dependencies couldn't be resolved for one reason
>> or another. This way, dependency resolution is held off until one
>> or more assembly-descriptor subsections requires it.
>>

> How did it happen that you needed a different resolver? In the
> shade plugin we're just using the set of artifacts resolved by the
> system. You found something that didn't work to allow you to select
> the artifacts you wanted due to problem with the artifact
> resolution code? I have found problems too but can be worked around
> inside the plugin and the set of artifacts handed back using
> @requiresDependencyResolution.

As I mentioned before, not all assemblies require dependencies to be
resolved. In cases where the project's dependencies cannot be
resolved for one reason or another, using
@requiresDependencyResolution puts an unnatural constraint on these
builds.

IMO, this is indicative of a need to allow a plugin to call back into
the core and resolve/retrieve the project's dependencies (and it's
not the only case; see any of the IDE plugins). I'm not sure that I'm
actually using a different resolver implementation, though...I don't
remember that being an issue.

-john

---
John Casey