List:       maven-dev
Subject:    Re: Automatic download of resources not found in ibiblio
From:       David Jencks <david () coredevelopers ! net>
Date:       2004-05-31 22:17:11

 From my perspective as a maven user...

On Monday, May 31, 2004, at 02:50 PM, Sancho Neves-Graca wrote:

> For resources not found in ibilio, the element <url> can be used to
> display an address where the resource can be fetched. However, this is
> not really in accordance with one of the objectives of maven, mainly
> to provide a build system independent of the local environment. I
> dread the idea of writing instructions about how to save an archive
> necessary for my application in the local maven repository. It would
> be a major putoff for many readers of the book and a source of errors.

Can you set up a website for your book that includes a suitable
repository?

>  It could be argued that the resource should exist in ibiblio, but
> this is not a realistic workaround. Some resources simply can not be
> uploaded,

> either because of its pre-release status,
this is what SNAPSHOT is for

>  for licensing constraints
In this case automatic download from a URL won't work either

>  or simply to avoid the awkward upload requests for ibiblio
If this is still true, it is a process bug not related to the maven
structure.

> . Would it not be necessary to implement automatic download from the
> specified URL should it not exist in the local repository? A
> workaround has been previously suggested in this mailing list (add
> URLs to maven.repo.remote) but using the <url> element is much more
> intuitive (it is not intuitive as of now, where this element is used
> only for documentation purposes).

Hijacking the url tag for purposes of automated download would break
its current function of letting people answer the question, "What does
this do, anyway?"

I fear that adding a second way to obtain artifacts will result in
wholesale confusion.

thanks
david jencks